Guest Post: A Look At Feminism Today

Feminism

guest post by Shelly Marek


Understand that we are in constant change and coming to terms with our fate. It seems strange how we think we are in control of everything and we have all the time in the world. Everything is so bittersweet. Change creates extreme hopelessness to the point of breaking the soul, but then comes a new strength out of weakness. We all have a purpose to achieve, but when we stand alone, we rarely complete it.

My focus is how do I make a better world for my daughter and son. My biggest concern is how to set the example so women will not to be at war with other women. We are our own worst enemies!

It is a gift if we can stand in unity even if we disagree. As women, we need to bring trust, hope, loyalty and respect back into our relationships with each other. I remember a song that said "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." What kind of world are we creating? A world where women backstab each other over men, money, material success and vanity?

As women, we need to reexamine why this is acceptable behavior. When did we as women sell out? I believe this is the new feminist issue. We should be rejoicing that Hillary was able to stand the oppressiveness of the democratic party-- shame on the women who then turned on her. I am still going to vote because it's the right thing to do; I am just so disappointed but I have to get over it.




(Special thanks to Shelly Marek of Hill County, Texas, for her guest post on women's issues! Shelly's letter will be archived with HerStories, soon to contain a wide sampling of local women's stories, viewpoints, and expressions.

Leave a comment for Shelly below, or send us your viewpoints; we'd love to hear them.)

1 comment:

Laura F. Walton said...

I can totally relate. Regardless of politics, what I found most odd about the whole Hillary thing were the reasons people gave for disliking her. They rarely had anything to do with her political stance or qualifications; instead, 90% of the comments I heard were directed at her as a woman. I heard words like pushy, overbearing, uppity, and even the occasional rolling bitch on wheels, plus countless stupid jokes about her (and Bill's) sex life. And yes, the most hateful commentary came from other women!

Evidently it's not okay to be assertive, intelligent, shrewd, and politically savvy if you're a woman, because that's not how the average woman prefers to be seen. This phenomenon has always puzzled me; it's as if some part of the human psyche is programmed to say "Hey, I know! Let's all be mediocre! If we all gang up on the ones who go too far beyond our majority-dictated customs, our group can be as average as anything! Hooray!"

While part of me understands that it's human nature to be suspicious/afraid of those who step outside the fat part of the Bell curve, I still just don't get it. It makes no good sense whatsoever, and it never will, to me at least.